Re: Great speech video on "Sound"

There is an interesting book by Daniel Levitin, "The world in six songs". It's about music and how it could have helped humans to survive. He talks about the co-evolution of music and the brain, how deeply music is engrained in our nature and how it helps us to bond, to cooperate or to transfer information. As neuroscientist and musician, he can approach the subject from both sides. I highly recommend the book (as well as his other one "This is your brain on music").

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:38:01 +0200
Von: Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
An: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Betreff: Re: Great speech video on "Sound"

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM, John Cecil Price
<johncecilprice@hotmail.com> wrote:
> a more interesting question here would be just why do we human's even need
> to tell stories-make music/art, etc., in the 1st place?
///////
> Or is there a genetic trigger drawing us all to storytelling-songs, etc?

I thinks so. That idea came to me from a radio documentary where they
compared a typical five year old children with a typical chimpanzee.

I'd like to know how they came up with that determination, especially since I work in a branch of healthcare & I don't think most of the sup's/managers have the intellect of a 5 year old. Chimp, I mean........

They are of equal intellectual capacity but the huge difference is in
sharing stories. The five year child is constantly telling stories -
about anything and to whomever want (or doesn't) to listen - but the
chimp just sits silent until a need of any kind arises.

My comment to this is, did the documentary explore any of the reasons those chimps we're sharing stories? Did they see if perhaps the chimps simply didn't like the children they were forced to be with? Or perhaps the chimps found that the children simply jabbered on so much they couldn't get a word in edgewise? Did anyone ask the chimps if they were so bored with the children jabbering on that they didn't want to make the verbal onslaught any worse? Perhaps the chimps were really stuck-up & refused to have anything to do with such creatures as children. The chimps might have thought that children were an evolutionary dead-end & really, what was the point since they would be extinct sometime in the future & telling chimp stories would be wasted on the children. Also, if the chimps actually just sat there silently, did anyone check to see if the chimps were still breathing? Or hadn't been self-medicating to get through the study? It seems to me that there are a lot of unanswered questions here, not the least of which might be did the study accidentally get a bunch of mute chimps? I mean, the last time I was a 5 year old & was in a study comparing humans to chimps, those bloody chimps would never shut up! They would just go on & on about the most mundane things like bannanas & climbing trees & daring one chimp to hold a bannana while climbing a tree, ect ect .... Goodness it was almost unbearable!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com