Re: $280 Midi Guitar Coming from Fender

Mark Showalter wrote:

> That would not be a very usable feature on a device designed for MIDI.
>I've seen guitars modded with a MIDI pickup but never seen a player use
>it while using a synth.
> Too much unpredictable pitches with such a device. I even find doing
>slight bends can cause
>problems on my Godin & GR-30. Mostly depends on the patch & how fast I
>attempt the bend.

hi Mark,
here's some good news for you,
guitars fitted with a MIDI p/u *can* track string bends
very well.
The midi converter has to be set to send Midi pitch bend
(which can be switched off),
and then the amount of midi pitch bend has to be matched between the
midi converter and the synth that's being driven.

Don't know about the GR-30,  but usually the Midi pitch bend
information is usually essential to good tracking, as the
midi note can often be off by a semitone, and then the
pitch been info is used to correct that 'mistake' more
or less seamlessly.  ...so a correct setup as described here
will improve your tracking even if you don't bend notes.

andy butler