Re: softstep. anyone using it successfully?

per said:

if I can find a way to remotely power it via usb withought a lap top in the mix

No, they ship it with an adapter so the usb can be plugged into an outlet instead of a computer.  This thing is intended to work stand alone... they just haven't supported that functionality yet.