Re: Tip on a great free reverb plugin (for lappy loopers) PSP Pianoverb

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Clifford Novey <cnovey@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of my fav albums of all times uses this- Weather Report's first
> record- self titled from 1972. Wayne played scales on his sax into
> piano strings. Joe was giving him the scales and they edited all the
> sax out but 1 note. Incredible and I didn't know how it was done until
> much later. Joe also is doing something with the pedals you can hear
> it.

I like that album too :-)  So Joe held down the sustained chords
according to the song structure to imply the chord changes in the
piano's sax reverb! Cool. Doing that with modern electronic laptop
tools would be an exciting challenge! I imagine I would like to assign
"reverb chords" to the switches of a MIDI pedalboard to play it. Any
ideas on how to set up a signal routing that would give you this
thing?

I can think of a mixer system where reverb is fed into a bunch of
effect channels that are EQ'ed to let through the notes frequencies of
a particular chord (or clusters). Then you may mute and unmute such
effect tracks for "chord changes in the reverb". But this idea loses
out on the fact that the sustained piano string also starts to
oscillate and boosts the note it with its own (grand) sound. I guess
there are better tricks. Ideas anyone? A system of parallel granular
synthesis lines? (think we're talking "electronic tanpura" here, kind
of...)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se