Freeze-verb (Re: Tip on a great free reverb plugin (for lappyloopers) PSP Pianoverb)

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM, everybody wrote:
> resonator

It's funny how discussions on this list evolves. I like that! But I
think I need to better explain why I like the PSP Pianoverb plug-in so
much. I actually like it because it can be set to NOT sound like a
resonators system. I also like that it occupies less CPU power then a
convolution reverb.

Another "reverb" I like is actually a software simulation of a tape
delay, EchoBoy from SoundToys. I set it up as a super short tape loop
with almost infinite feedback and a little frequency cut off at high
and low bands. This is the "reverb" I use when playing live. I also
use it as a playable "freeze-verb" by assigning an expression pedal
and a sustain pedal (over MIDI) to the EchoBoy's feedback parameter.
People talk about "scapes" when hearing it but it really is as simple
as this tape delay sim plugin with a control pedal for the feedback.
What is cool is that it doesn't freeze totally - like for example Eos
does - and thanks to this and the small cutoffs the sound cloud
"rotates" slowly when you freeze a note.

The first good "freeze reverb" I heard was an Eventide box used by the
French keyboard player that toured with Jon Hassell in the eighties. I
have forgotten his name but he has been on this list (dude, are you
here?). Very cool sounding! Then I discovered that the built-in reverb
of Ableton Live sounded similar. But I don't want to use Live so I
unsuccessfully looked around a lot more until I finally found this
EchoBoy plugin.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se