Re: (OT) REJECTING MASS MEDIA CULTURE (Was Re: Epic OctatrackPerformance Sampler Teaser....

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Paul Richards <paulrichard_rocks@yahoo.com> wrote:
Nahh. You're wrong, my friend. I was there.
snip snip.. revelling in the heady days of hippydom...
I'd take the 60's any day over the horrendous past decade.

But you are wrong... that was the 60's for YOU.. but if you came from Sheffield, or Staines, or Oslo or Moscow or any single city in the world apart from San Francisco or New York or Paris or London... then the 60's wernt swinging.... No they were reeling in povertyu as a result of the financial burden the war put on the world.

My Dad said once, "You know Mark, the 60s was just a lot of nonsense, I never saw the swinging 60s and I live in London, I was at technical college, went to the pub, in a flat cap, wearing a brown suit, with my engineering mates, I saw one hippy once when we went out to the west end once... My step mother, smiles at this point and says... David, I wont say any more.. but you are wrong.. The 60s WERE swinging, I promise you, oh yes... " She was in her 20s in the 60 married to a RAF captain and living in a mews flat in Chelsea, you cant get more 60s than that for London... probably had David Bailey as a neighbour...

I think some people had a good time, but the hyperbole was enormous!!!

Same goes for the Roaring 20s... Worse poverty in the England at that same time, but the children of the rich famillies, succesfully made a big thing out of it, in an attempt to hide the grim aftermath of the great war...

and..
tEd said...

Do yourselves a favor and watch the (rather longish) BBC documentary called "The Century of the Self" if you ever have the chance.

Totally fab! Love this!

Mark

--
mark francombe