Triggering Ableton clips via a MIDI track

I want to launch Ableton audio clips via MIDI clips, and I'm trying to
follow the steps given in some posts from 2007 between Zoe Keating and J E:

> - i make a midi track that has the output set to IAC midi driver on
>channel 16.
> - then, make a controller talk on channel 16
> - using live's midi mapping, just select whatever function i want to
>control
> - lastly, put the midi sequences in a clip and put that clip in the midi
>track i created.
> - trigger the clip

The part where I'm at a loss is "make a controller talk on channel 16."
The LED's tell me that my MIDI track's notes are firing, but not reaching
any audio tracks.

Everything I can find about controllers and Ableton refers to physical,
hardware controllers, not a way that a MIDI track could give orders to an
audio clip.

Like that old movie line, "We have ways to make you make you talk." I need
a way.

Norman T