Re: Re: (OT) REJECTING MASS MEDIA CULTURE (Was Re: Epic OctatrackPerformance Sampler Teaser....

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Paul Richards wrote:
> (Remember if you will that Hendrix came to the UK to find an audience...)
> Hendrix was one of many: the Electric Prunes, Iron Butterfly,
> Autosalvage, Spirit, Big Brother & the Holding Company, the Airplane,
> the Rotary Connection, et al.

Errrr,   you are claiming that Big Brother and the Jefferson Airplane
came to England to get a mass audience?
It's true of Hendrix,  but I don't believe it was true of Big Brother or
the Airplane.

I was at the Monterey Pop Festival where Hendrix, Big Brother, Otis
Redding, Ravi Shankar and many others
broke big for the first time in the US.  Even the Who were not enormous
in the US until after the Monterey Pop
Festival, which was the prototype for all the big Rock Festivals to come.

The Airplane were enormous in California.  They were the poster children
for the SF Hippy movement.
  They were on the cover of Life Magazine for goodness sakes.

rick walker (ex-hippy who was there)