Re: EDP loop capture

Mark Hamburg wrote:

>> "Would it be possible without a lot of fancy footwork to use either the
>Looperlative or the RC-50 to do loop capture from an EDP (or a stereo
>pair of EDPs)?"
>>

> Okay. Some more clarity.
>
> Yes, I've got a Looperlative. While it works well as a multi-track
>looper, I haven't found it as natural for evolving and manipulating loops
>as the EDP with Loop IV. I find the operating modes approach of the EDP
>to work better for me than the command sequence approach of the
>Looperlative.

You might find that if you analyse your favourite moves from the edp that
get you to
where you want to go it's possible to get the Looperlative to fill the
same role.

> (A certain tendency on the part of the Looperlative to crash --

Which software version are you using?
1.38 is deadly (that's the one available by direct download)
1.37 is (I think) what Bill uses, it's too flaky for *some* of what I've
tried to do with it.
    It certainly seems that v.short loops and a fast stream of commands
can kill it.
1.34c is generally considered stable, I *can* crash it but only by going a
bit unreasonable.

> So, that then leads to the question of how could I leverage the two
>together and the seemingly natural thing to do is use the Looperlative as
>a way of capturing various EDP built loops and manipulating them.
>
> This is basically a resampling problem and I'm well aware of loop
>resampling as a concept. The issues that I've been concerned with include:
>
> * Getting the timing right seems to be relatively critical for avoiding
>pops and clicks at the boundaries.

Never had that as a problem, I regularly resample onto the EDPs from
Vortex or EH SMM loops.
Should be the same for LP1.
...of course getting the timing right isn't trivial.

> What I really want to say is, "I like this loop. Save it into a slot on
>the multi-track looper and start a new loop on the EDP" and I want to say
>it with as few operations as possible.
>
> Can I get things to lock well enough using MIDI to get reliable,
>seamless loop capture?

yes, (although I haven't tested that with the LP1)

> How sophisticated a MIDI controller am I likely to need to make it all
>work?

fcb1010 using Note-On for edp, and ProgCh for LP1.

I wonder though, if you'd find it easier/better to stick with the EDP and
use a larger MoreLoops param and explore SwitchQuant=Cnf

That offers loop storage, but with the linear flow of the edp so it's
real easy to bring back the loops.
(yes, I know, it's more button presses, but hey after a week or
  so you won't even notice them)

andy butler