Re: OT: Musical discoveries of 2010

Rick Walker here.
this is my set for best musical discoveries of 2010:

Thomas Dybdahl      Norwegian singer/songwriter: especially for one of the
                                 loveliest songs I've ever heard,
"Love Story"

Yeah Yeah Yeahs    (I came late to them but really dig them now)

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club   (I had the distinct pleasure of jamming
for a long time
        with leading songwriter, Peter Hayes at NAMM last year in the
Looperlative booth
        and honestly didn't know who they were.   It was really magical
so I looked him
        up and now have all of their albums.   The guy has this amazing
ability to
        write the simplest song and it sound beautiful, heartfelt and ,
refreshingly,
        in the mode of original rock and roll. I'm a huge fan

Trente Moller   (I also came late to him)  Danish abstract electronica
artist:  wonderful!

Mark Hollis  (amazing melancholic singer for Talk Talk--been around for
a while but
                   I fell in love with his solo album this year)

Fever Ray   (the sister from the Swedish band,   the Knife) Extremely
original and mysterious
                   incredible pagan videos on youtube.

Brian Blades  (known as an amazing jazz drummer and composer but he
released
        a very beautiful and soulful singer/songwriter record this year
that's up there with anything)
                 called 'Mama Rosa' up there with all of my favorite
singer/songwriter records.

Artists at Y2KX Loop Festival that I've never heard before and was
floored by:

Daniel Berkman      playing the Gravikord (electric Kora -19 string harp
from West Africa)
                    had a very nice newbie set and a fantastic CD that's
been on my 'turntable'
                    a lot this year.     A beautiful mixture of the
grace of this instrument but
                   with a very hip/modern glitchy electronica
sensibility.  Watch for this guy!

Laurie Amat    I've known of her but really got to hear her sing in her
newbie concert.
                       A really amazing and exceedingly creative and
unique singer.  I really look
                       forward to working with her in the coming year

Chris Ranier     The Australian avante/slide guitarist was highly
recommended to me
                      by my dear friend Nat Grant (who was last year's
favorite along with Julia Kotowskis'
                       Entertainment for the Braindead) and I loved his
set.   He had a wonderful
                      mixture of films (played to like old silent movie
pit orchestras) and a sophisticated
                      and fascinating mixture of classic and
experimental styles of music