Re: Per's Mobius patches

Hi Bill,

Yes, like I said: a lot of similar processing in our approaches :-)

> like the Time warp idea. whats up with that????? Is this similar to what
> do  manually toggling track speed when in record or replace to create
>odd
> meters or octave leaps, but in automated form????????

Sort of realated. My Time Warp scripts do a very simple processing:
1. Go into Overdub Mode.
2. Rate Shift in rhythmic steps according to a set sequence.
3. Go out of Overdub Mode.

All that happens during one Cycle (EDP-ish. Means the length of the
first loop I started out that session by recording. Or a new if I have
later on defined a new Track Sync Master Track). I only use two Time
Warp scripts because I need to know what they will put out from the
noise I chose to put in ;-)  I wrote them in a way that to not change
the playback time of the Cycle, related to parallel loops on other
tracks. You know, if transposed up the loop goes faster and if
transposed down it goes slower. So I have kind of balanced up and down
transposing through-out the script to give the full schebang the same
total playback time as the loop would have if not processed. I use
octaves, fifths and fourths up or down to avoid clashes between major
and minor chords and keep more of the compositional momentum at my
hands rather than "in-the-box". Also, each script exists in five
different versions to match specific timing measures: 4/4, 5/4, 6/8,
7/8, 9/8. I never have to bother about that though because the script
I trigger from my pedal only reads what 8ths Per Cycle Mobius is
actually working at and then fetches and applies the Time Warp script
that matches the actual timing measure.

> Also its weird but I
> never use fade, started to, but stopped in favor of good old fashion
> feedback reduction to fade traclks away.

I like feedback manipulation too, even pumping a pedal during overdub
or mulitply to create "volume sweeps" in all background layers on the
next loop round. But the Fade In/Out I use more for "remixing while
playing". The script checks what level the looper track is at and then
fades out rather slowly. Next time I kick the same button - with that
track selected - it checks and find "oh shit, track volume is down at
zero... man I better FADE IN now!" ...and in this situation the script
remembers the old track volume level and fades back in to the same
volume as it used to be. I also have the four looper track's volume on
the Faderfox hand mixer faders for quick manual adjustment.

> PS the fader fox thingy is really cool

Indeed. I would buy a new one if mine was lost. Maybe I replace them
with an iPhone or iPad in the future. I like physical buttons better
than a touch screen but since you bring your mobile phone anyway the
OSC solution would also help to save overweight costs when traveling.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com