Re: Mobius loop windowing simulation

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> So window open, would start looping ONLY the sub-cycle you were currently
> in, WITHOUT erasing what came before or after. (Probably sound the same
>as a
> trim start/end) but then a SLIP command, would take you to the next, but
> previously hidden, section of the loop, or the previous section of the
>loop,
> depending on the slip command.

Reminds me of a great feature of those old 12 bit EMax samplers. For a
sampled audio file you could set the start point and loop point much
closer to each other than the total length of the sample. Then you
could sweep this loop range through the sample IN BOTH DIRECTIONS. So
by setting an extremely short loop and sweeping it through a vocal
recording people came up with he first "robot voices" in techno.

I've always wondered why no software developers have picked up that
awesome technique in modern sound design tools. If the Emax sampler
example would work with a random function for placing the loop range
(start point and loop point fixed in relation to each other) we would
have LOOP WINDOWING even though told in broken EDPish.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com