Re: OT: RIP Mick Karn

This is indeed very sad news. His bass sound for me was the sound of the early 80s, not least as I had a bass player girlfriend  who adored him, and filed her frets off.

Ive been wondering whether to mention this as it seems like trumpeting, but earlier this year, about 2 months before he announced his Cancer, I was approached by a Polish friend of mine who had been in touch with him for many years and had been, in some way, trying to get him back on the road. He was suffering financially and was by all accounts completely broke and living a quite hermetic life on Cyprus. My friend had suggested me to him as a possible guitarist for a forthcoming tour, he had apparently listened to some of my stuff and liked it. I got a mail from him out of the blue one day saying that what was my schedule like and would I tour for free (I beieve that Torn and Aaset et el had all been asked before me, and their monetary requirements were out of the question) .. It took a micro second to reply...however... I never heard anything more, and expect that it would not have gone anywhere anyway.

Im not mentioning this in anyway commiserating about MY bad luck, indeed, it wasnt REALLY my kinda gig, just that it happened, and Im sad that he died. Very, very sad.

Mark

--
mark francombe
www.markfrancombe.com