MUSIC & TECHNOLOGY (Was Re: stereo)

Howdy all!

Different tools (whether our personally chosen instruments or our
preferred levels of applied musical technology) sometime suggest or
influence wholly different musical directions and outcomes.

When I set aside electrical technology (as I sometime do for a time) I
tend to play guitar and sound like a folk musician (some rough
approximation of the Leo Kottke style of finger-picked guitar playing).

This is neither bad nor good, it's just what that musical situation is
for me personally.

If civilization were to collapse and all this technology disappear,
that's probably what I would continue doing in order to amuse myself
musically.

But in the hyper-techno-glutted and connected world that is, we
already have one Leo Kottke - of which I am only a pale and inept copy.

So, when I apply some level of electricty to the mix of things
available to me (say looping and/or FX) my imaginative horizons are
much less hemmed in by my own technical proficiencies (or lack thereof).

I can both imagine and play many other things in many other tonal
colors that I might never have considered otherwise.

Alas, having an instrument (or some combination of instrument and
applied technology) that simply produces gorgeous and/or interesting
timbres all by itself (with modest technique), and loops them up into
overwhelming walls orchestral stereo sound, does tend to make one
gravitate in the direction of greater dependence on the "sonic
enhancements" of said technology than in acquiring greater motor-
physical command over an instrument and/or deeper conceptual musical
skills.

That is a problem with any technology.

These are just some thoughts . . . I am not even sure I will agree
with what I said 5 minutes from now.

I'm not even sure where I was going with it.

Stereo?

Oh, I definitely approve of it . . . I have 2 ears.

:-)

Ted