Re: Soft Step real feedback please

So if I'm reading this right, the SoftStep works directly plugged in to a computer via USB but other foot controllers such as the 1010 need to plug into a midi interface. Since I'm looking to make a portable setup with a laptop, i.e. will fit in my backpack, being able to dispense with a midi interface and just use virtual sounds in the computer would be a great advantage. Are there any other foot pedals that compete in this particular aspect?