Re: What is the absolutely smallest drum-machine EVER!

On 2/10/11 9:19 AM, "mark francombe" <markfrancombe@gmail.com> wrote:

> So.. Small drummachine. Anyone? No? Small hardware sequencer then?
> Small anything that sends out midi notes... Jeez... Is this another
> reason to get a gordius?

Smallest actual drum machine I remember is the Alesis SR-16, which is
probably bigger than you want.  I think at some point, Boss released one or
two of the Dr. Rhythm's which were approximately the same size, but that's
probably too big as well.  The issue with drum machines, I think, is that
they all standardize on providing pads of some sort (well, the original Dr.
Rhythm and its clones didn't, but they may have been pre-MIDI).  Each pad
needs at least a finger's space of real estate, which blows up the size of
the machine a bit.

As far as other devices, I could swear that at some point Yamaha released
one of the QY series that wasn't much bigger than a Korg guitar tuner, but
could merely be mis-remembering that.  Also, I know that there have been a
few data filers (Casio, for example) which were no bigger than two packs of
smokes laid side-by-side, but I don't know if they could be coaxed to play
sequence or not.

Finally, (leading question here:) does it absolutely have to be done with
MIDI Notes?  Is there any chance you could get the same effect control by
programming a CC?

    --m.