Music and performance (WAS: Why does mainstream seem more like,downstream these days?)

2011/2/15 Nadia Salom <nadia.salom@gmx.de>
I see making music and listening to music more like a way to develop a process... like the process of processing. so each song out there is happening in a performative moment in time which reflects that moment and the present situation of the musician, therefore I dont see any good and bad in music, i just see a social phenomena... that's why sometimes I am fascinating with music that is more mainstream... or kitsch... in the end I dont there is such thing as kitsch...

After all thiat interesting discussion about maistream and downstream, Nadia's post
made me think that various members on this list seem to have the same approach as Nadia, where music is "a performative moment in time..." and that leads me to think about the "live", improvisative, performing side of music which seems very common nowdays.

Sure looping is a great tool in that department, being the "here and now" the most perceivable effect of "looped music" (a "genre" that doesn't exist, IMO), so I can see why lot of people on this list care about that side of music.

The fact is that..... in almost in evey corner, I can see musicians celebrating the improvisational and/or performative side of their music.
So, it sound to me like that aspect is becoming in some way "mainstream" for today's musicians and - even worse - sometimes it alludes to the unsayed tought: "hey, I don't play written music: that's just so "old": I play "new" music, I'm exploring new fields, so I need to improvise".

Which is fine for me, but is music just that and nothing else ?
Does music still live off of a performative environment ?
Is it still alive even when "written" music is performed ?
Does really Music need a performative act to work out well ?
Is the performative/improvvisational side of music getting more and more "mainstraim" ?

...just toughts

-fabio
www.eterogeneo.com

I dont care much for what Adorno said about popular music... or the way "serious" music is seen in a heirarchy.... that is so nonsense to me.

Same for me, here !

I liked reading this thread and seeing how the members of the listserver discuss this phenomena. If it is true that through the internet the word mainstream is losing more and more importance, then it must mean that the process of making music nowadays is becoming more and more a performative process.......