Re: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

>andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> was all:
>
> so what's the 20% that would stand out as being groundbreaking
> compared to say, the Forbidden Planet soundtrack?
> What in this decade was unimaginable in the previous?

One trend I really enjoyed in the last 10 years is the practice of
taking the fragmented cd skipping ideas of the mid/late 90s and
reintegrating it into pop music forms. Such as the music of Atom
Heart's projects like Midisport, Los Samplers, Roger Tubesound
Ensemble, Flanger. As well as bands like Efterklang, The Books, Tuung.

I don't believe in the requirement that something must be
"unimaginable" in the previous decade to be "new" in this decade. It
just requires someone to come up with their own way of doing things.
Phillip Jeck has made a name for himself by composing with multiple
turntables playing old, crackly records. .

...And the Forbidden Planet soundtrack was pretty groundbreaking for the
time.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com