re: total improv

Nothing like being in the moment! Enjoying the thoughts folk's are
throwing out there-this thread reminds me of the notes on Kind Of Blue by
Bill Evans:

"There is a Japanese visual art in which the artist is forced to be
spontaneous. He must paint on a thin stretched parchment with a special
brush and black water paint in such a way that an unnatural or interrupted
stroke will destroy the line or break through the parchment. Erasures or
changes are impossible. These artists must practice a particular
discipline, that of allowing the idea to express itself in communication
with their hands in such a direct way that deliberation cannot interfere.

The resulting pictures lack the complex composition and textures of
ordinary painting, but it is said that those who see well find something
captured that escapes explanation.

This conviction that direct deed is the most meaningful reflections, I
believe, has prompted the evolution of the extremely severe and unique
disciplines of the jazz or improvising musician."

I've always loved that analogy for improv music -anyhow, be well everybody
and, lastly, I'd like to share a little improv jam I did w/ percussion,
bowed/pizzed upright bass, and elec guitar a while back-hope you dig:

http://www.youtube.com/user/UccelloProject#p/u/20/ATC4r3zukmM

-also another I did w/ bassist Bryan Beller at a house concert in my home
in Monterey:

http://www.youtube.com/user/UccelloProject#p/u/18/dDyQ9QiR_qc

-Steve Uccello