midi looping, synths, and kaossilators

Hi all,

Today I stumbled across the Korg Kaosilator PRO. I have always been a bit interested in the Kaosilator, however never even looked at one due to it not having midi sync. But then there's the Kaosilator PRO.. full midi in clock /out.. and its says.. Performs double-duty as a MIDI controller for external equipment.

So.. interesting.

I have always expounded on this list that I am dreaming of a "Midi Looper". With all the functions of an EDP, but.. not audio based. Reasons? Cos the thing about a synth loop (pre-programmed) is that it can still be tweaked, either by hand, or by LFO sweep
/modulation routings.

I do routinely "audio loop" my synths. (a doepfer modular system, a Korg MS2000 and the trusty GR30 guitar synth) but for "synth lines" Ive always pre-programmed them, either via the onboard modulation sequencer of the Korg, or a variety of analog sequencers I have for the modular (the best being called, weirdly "Mobius")

The Korg is VERY tweakable, so a relatively standard patch can easily be quickly manipulated to "fit in" with the current improvisation.

But theres my problem / wish.

TO HAVE ALL AVAILABLE; WHERE ALL FACTORS BOTH NOTES AND TIMBRE CAN BE FREELY IMPROVISED, LIVE, AND LOOPED.

So to be able to improvise the synth loop notes.

So, to the questions:

The Kaosilator PRO.
How is it to play..?
Is it a proper "Instrument"
Can I play it, and get what I imagine.. or is it basicaly random (within a key and scale)???
Supposing I have some guitar loops going .. and I imagine a growly distorted acid bass to pop in for 3 notes, then silent for 4 bars.. then loop...
OR...
Can I quickly loop a little string section,
OR, can I hear a Xylophone in my head, and within a few seconds, select a patch, and add some twinkles?

And Tech questions..
How is it at following midi clock?
When used as a controller for another synth, is all information sent on 2 axis?
Can I map X to pitch on an external synth (Im thinking my Korg) and the Y to filter cutoff on the external synth? (If my external synth allows this.. which I dont know.. have to find the manual.)
Is the midi loop on the Kaosilator SENT out the midi out, making it a midi sequncer/looper for an external synth..
And finally,
Whats the on-board audio loopers like?

IF ALL GOOD...

For Sale:

Red Sound Federation synched Multi effects
Insanly good loop mangler, delay, filter, chopper and very psychedelic multi band panner, all syncable...

Boss Dr Groove 202 (with built in 2 track sequencer)
Previously used to automate 2 EDP´s

(or swap for a Kaosilator Pro of course...)

Mark

--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com