Re: LP2 OR RANG 3 or M9

If you are a fan of the original Rang, then the Rang III will fit more
in your comfort zone than the M9, as a primary looper, IMO.  I picked up
a used original Rang a few years ago, from a shop that was closing.
They had lost the power supply, so i got it cheap.  Got a power supply
for it and started playing.  I enjoyed it very much, except it needed a
bit of work on scratchy jacks and pots, which i never did, and the
fidelity was a little dark.  I ended up paying it forward and giving it
away to an aspiring looper, who enjoyed it immensely.

The 'fun factor' however, was the driving force for me getting the Rang
III.

Yes!  you can do what you ask.

The two major modes in the RIII are Serial and Free, and in basic setup,
you have 3 loops to work with.  In Serial mode, each loop will play
after the next.  So if you record loop 1, and then start recording loop
2, loop 1 will stop, and you begin recording loop 2.  You could end your
loop 2 by hitting the loop 2 button, which will continue looping loop 2,
or you could end your loop 2 recording by hitting loop 1 again, which
would end loop 2, and loop 1 would beging playing again.  Make sense?
This sets you up for verse/chorus/bridge type songwriting.

In Free mode, the loops will play together, irregardless of when you
started them.  This would be the scenario you described.  Record your 5
second loop on loop 1, then record your 4 second loop on loop 2.  They
will then continue to play polyrhythmically.  Loop 3 is still open for
another loop, as well.

Now...the next 'mode' in the Rang is the Sync mode, which is triggered
by you, the player, by selecting which loop gets recorded first.  If you
start with loop 1 or loop 2, everything operates as i just
described...either in free/layer mode, or serial mode.

However, IF you do your first loop on Loop 3, then the Rang switches
into Sync mode, and things operate a bit differently.

In Serial 'Sync', Loop 3 is recorded first, and that becomes the
rhythmic/tempo baseline for the other two loops to be based off of.  for
example, record a short rhythmic loop on loop 3 (one bar).  Now you have
the same SERIAL type function (one loop after another) with loop 1 and
2, but they are 'slaves' to the one bar loop length of Loop 3.  Loops 1
and 2 will be multiples of Loop 3, either 1x 2x, 3x, 4x, 8x,
whatever....
As you near the end of the where you would close the loop, then you tap
to close it, but it will remain open until the master loop comes around
to the top and then closes your slave loop recording.  This is kindof
like how Ableton will record and end loops in tempo with the beat (and
bar setting).  You don't have to end the loop exactly on the measure,
you just tell it you want it to close and it happens on the downbeat of
the next measure.

In Free 'Sync', it operates in the same way, where loops 1 and 2 are
still 'slaves' to multiples of loop 3, but loops 1 and 2 are able to
layer on top of each other.

As well, there is an optional behavior of having a Loop 4, but it steals
away one of the footbuttons, which i've got setup to do other things.  3
loops is enough to rattle my meager skills, anyway.

Right now, my Rang is setup thusly, with the bonus buttons.

Bonus 1 Tap:  Overdub.    Record any loop, tap bonus 1, and then as you
close the loop, it's in instant overdub.
Bonus 1 Hold:  Erase.  Holding this button allows you to select any 'non
playing' loop to erase.  When no loops are playing, it erases ALL loops.

Bonus 2 Tap:  Stop or Play All.  This will stop all loops.  Hitting this
bonus when everthing is stopped plays all loops again in unsynced mode.
In synced, it will play the master and whatever single slave loop you
choose.
Bonus 2 Hold:  Fade.  this will begin a fade of any playing loops.  its
a variable setting, and i have mine set to a medium/long fade.  This is
a fantastic feature and allows the Rang to become organic and mutating,
rather than the abrubt start/stop of, say, the DL4.  Used in conjunction
with another looper, it's uber cool, because you can hit one switch and
the whole structure starts to fade out, and will automatically stop when
it reaches the end of the fade.  So you have a great thing happening
with the Rang....then start to fade, but keep playing and possibly
looping on the M9 (that is before the Rang) and you can get a whole new
ball of wax developing while the Rang is fading out stuff, and you don't
have to worry about it...it will just stop.

So...let it stop.  then Hold bonus 1 and delete all the previous loops,
and you can record your new input coming from the M9, and keep on
truckin'...

hope that helps.  i'm still learning with this thing, but it sure is a
blast to play so far...

rich