Re: A while back.....

There's a new player on the tap guitar scene.

http://www.touchguitars.com/

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> hey Per i saw one of your stick videos cheers man you are getting really good!
> can you give me some info about it? which one is it? where did you get
> it and what did you pay for it?
> Ive checked out the warr guitars,i must say i like the looks better;-)
> what are the differences in terms of playing are there any advantages
> of that one or is it pure looks?

Most questions should be answered at www.stick.com.

Personally I started with a 12 stringed Grand Stick, but now I have
settled with a 12 stringed Stick Guitar, the SG-12 (yet no video up on
that one). It has a guitar length scale of 24 frets while the Grand
Stick has 36 frets. The smaller instrument fits me better both in
sound and shape, and I rarely need those ultra deep bass strings of
the Grand.

The Warr guitars are just too ugly for my taste. And they are too
expensive and too heavy as well. What I like with the Stick's design
is that it is minimal. The stick body is just bare bones and the kind
of wood used hardly matters for the sound; you're getting the pure
sound of steel and strings. The upright, almost vertical, playing
position of the Stick gives both hands optimal access to the fretboard
and makes it easy and comfortable to play.

Finally, I really like the mirrored tuning in 4th on the guitar side
of the fretboard and in 5ths on the bass side. You can explore chord
voicings that aren't possible on many other instruments. Each
fretboard side has two pickups  and goes out through its own output. I
set up my sound patches in pairs, so the melody and bass side go out
through two different sounding but complementary effect chains. When
playing this means you might "freeze a pad" with one hand while
playing arpeggio with the other, or combine a bass line with chord
vamps etc etc.

The challenge to get on with this instrument is to rewire your brain
to work better in multitasking mode ;-)) Drummers, piano players or
harpists may have an advantage here. For me as a guitarist doubling on
wind instruments it took many months to reach the threshold where you
get both hands going fairly independently.

Per

--
-==-=-=-
Tony