Re: Re: cool Repeater Trick vs LP-1 tricks>scramble redux

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Simeon Harris wrote:
> one really nice thing you can do with the lp-1 which you can't do with
> mobius, is this...
>
> create an empty loop
> hit scramble (medium works best, or try fast and then half speed the
>loop)
> hit overdub and swell in some notes
>
> works really nicely if you are able to mute your dry signal, as little
> chunks of audio just appear out of nowhere

Exactly, and then you can use a Non Synced Bounce to 'select'  a   new
time signature  out of the randomness
that ensues, then change the Master to this track and continue on in
synchronized rhythm land in your new
randomly created time signature.

(I can't remember, but is this function called Unrounded Multiply in the
EDP?   It's been a long time since I've used it there)

What I love about these techniques is that you can start out abstractly
and suddenly have your randomness coalesce
into a groove in the time signature of your choice.

If you continue on past the boundary of your newly scrambled track then
you can create interesting compound
odd time signatures that will, nonetheless,  have some of the same
information at the beginning of each 'section' of the
compound signature you've chosen.

This approach is actually one used a lot in more complex Balkan dance
rhythms like 25/8.

Additionally,  if you just don't relate to the sequence that emerges,
just hit scramble a couple more times until something
interesting emerges.

In fact,  note to self and Andy:     It would be musical to add a
Re-Scramble function to the LP-1 because as it stands now,
I believe you have to hit scramble three times to get a new
randomization.     Am I right about this?

Currently, as memory serves,  you hit Scramble,   then hit it again to
toggle back to Unscrambled then hit Scramble a third time
to create a new randomization.

Rick Walker