Connecting to fanbase / Touring / some encouraging figures

Matt, finding your audience can be a very long and discouraging task, I
feel like I am terrible at it.  Being as strategically efficient as
possible and taking any 'shortcuts'one can are definitaly essential (if
you figure any out let us know!)  But to me it seems the best way to go
about it is to offer something very high quality, not meaning any
qualitative value on playing etc, just being really good at whatever it is
you do (whether it's a classical concert pianist or a performance artist
who smears strawberry pudding all over themselves while playing a kazoo,
you know what I mean) and then offering that thing consistently for a long
period of time.  As well as playing, I've put on a few shows & house
concerts around the Monterey Bay area (promoting and playing w/ Steve
Lawson, Lobelia, Bryan Beller/Kira Small, Bill Walker, Atmos Trio, Gustaf
Fjelstrom)  I even opened for Kim Boekbinder as well as Saul Kaye.  And it
seemed I had to do a quite a few
before people even got the idea they were happening and worth coming to.
And that was even with a few radio spots on KPIG and flyering, emailing
etc.  Seems people (& I'm totally guilty of this too) go: 'I missed it
this time, but I'll make the next one' and so it goes.  Seems good to also
team up with other folks and help promote them, and to just keep doing it
unflinchingly for a super long time maintaining a high quality experience
%100 of the time.  I always ask myself, "am I doing my audience a favor or
are they doing me a favor by coming and listening?" But, I've rambled long
enough! And hey, let's try to do a show together sometime, (seriously) or
at least meet up and jam or hang out! Good luck with everything, it
certainly is tricky to get things off the ground and even more so when you
do something 'out of the box' oh that makes me think of a cool panel
discussion Steve Lawson did about out of the box music, check it out here:

http://www.stevelawson.net/2009/07/podcast-of-the-outside-the-box-panel-from-unconvention/

Best wishes, Steve Uccello

http://www.uccelloprojects.blogspot.com/
www.steveuccello.com