All this U2 (and Eno) talk...

…made me think of this article.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/25/110425fa_fact_bilger

“Our own” Mr. Eno figures quite prominently in the latter half of the article and he tells a great (at least I thought so) story about Larry Mullen Jr.

Here’s a very brief snippet:

The idea of studying drummers had come from Brian Eno, the composer, record producer, and former member of the band Roxy Music. Over the years, Eno had worked with U2, David Byrne, David Bowie, and some of the world’s most rhythmically gifted musicians. He owned a studio a few blocks away, in a converted stable on a cobblestoned cul-de-sac, and had sent an e-mail inviting a number of players to participate in Eagleman’s study. “The question is: do drummers have different brains from the rest of us?” Eno said. “Everyone who has ever worked in a band is sure that they do.”