Re: Curious about Ableton Live

I've been wrestling with Ableton for years. I think Per's answer is
very accurate and well informed. One caveat I would make is to
distinguish what "can be done" and what works best within the
software's "workflow paradigm."

I don't want that to sound pompous. As software has become more and
more complex, it's design becomes more centered on a "workflow
paradigm" where the software designers make certain assumptions about
how the software will be used.

In Ableton, that is clearly around working with prerecorded loops.
Ableton makes it really easy to mix and match loops of different
lengths on the fly in a live situation. It also makes it really easy
to beat sync loops that were originally different tempos. The design
of the program makes that easy and intuitive. This maybe simplistic,
but I think Ableton's strength is as a live remixing tool.

If you are recording most of your material live instead of working
with prerecorded loops, I think you will find yourself working harder
and spending more time reading the manual, at least that's my
experience for what it's worth. I'm somewhere in the middle where I
work with prerecorded beats and play live looped guitar and keyboards
on top of that. The built in looper is straightforward and reasonably
easy to use.

I took a one day class on Ableton through the (San Francisco) Bay Area
Video Coalition with Chris Willits and that definitely helped me to
get my head around Ableton.

--
Art Simon
simart@gmail.com