Re: Roland gr55

Also Sprach Mark

Quite interesting read Hans, actually most are a little disappointed with the sounds. Im not too bothered by that tho, cos Ive never had a synth that did have good presets. My trusty GR30 took years to get to what I have now 10 usable patches. And back to arps... What is with that? On the Gr 30 there was this amazing Arpegiator, that is a staple for me, I use it everyday, and Ive still yet to try the Walker repeater trick (due to needing 2 midi merge boxes to do it).

 I couldn't agree more though I haven't used mine in sometime, the gr30's arpeggiator and what it could do to drive my repeater was totally responsible for some of the things I was doing 7 years ago. All the impossible to play arpeggio stuff was using the gr as an arp trigger for the repeater, to make single note samples behave polyphonically with a wild natural portamento between notes, however limited  the sound engine was the arpeggiator did and still does kick ass, simple to program easy to use. Re GR55,  I will investigate further but I believe you are right, any arpeggiation is patch specific and non programmable. Haven't had much time on one personally, they have trickled in and sold quickly.
 Bill