Re: OT: Need a software 303 fast...

Hi Mark,

Tau! Check the demo clip here:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/05/25/muon-software-set-to-re-release-tau-bassline-vst-on-may-27th/

Here is Muon Software - where to get Tau:
http://www.muon-software.com/

I think a decent 303 can be mocked up in Logic by playing the ES2
through the FuzzWha. A 303 sound is about Resonance, Dist and Glide
(portamento). If you need a harder touch you may also run it through
the Amp Designer, the Octane Rack and that other metal amp sim. To
hack it up - like the Portal 2 - you can throw in a Tremolo plugin
after the whole shebang and automate it to slice squarish sixteenths,
thirty seconds or whatever.

A third-party synth I like a lot, for its powerful filters that can
scream in self oscillation just like the real thing is Arturia's Mood
Modular 2. Bought it long ago back at the first release and it has
helped many time when I need some analog sounding filtering.

I usually put a bit of harmonic overtone distortion after any such
processing (the trick also referred to as "Exiter", "Audio Enhancing"
or "Maximizing"). Logic's Exiter plugin does this but not very good.
So instead I use SoundToys' Decapitator. Always. It adds bite and
clarity, something which often is a difficult challenge in the
software studio.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se