Re: Roland gr55

mark francombe wrote:
Sounding very cool Duke, especially as the LFO style seqiencing is
somethig Im very into on my modular,

Still trying to sell a few things, but looking increasingly like Í wanna
get a 55 now!

Yeah, it's sounding like it should be a pretty nice little piece of kit. Hope you can manage to work out the arrangements for getting one soon.

I've been playing with a few other functions in the Effects section on my VG-99. There are two general "Mod" modules -- Mod 1 and Mod 2 -- which can each be set to one of a number of effects, your choice. Inside this module type, you can choose a Pitch Shift effect that will allow you to generate up to two shifted voices balanced against the original.

(Aside: the main difference between this module and the other 'Alternate Tuning' modules are mainly placement and quality. The 'Alternate Tuning' section is wrapped in and works directly with the COSM instrument module. It is extremely high-quality and polytonic, working independently upon each string's input. The Pitch Shift module is further down the signal chain in the Effects section, and is more like an emulation of a stompbox pitch shifter such as the Boss PS-series pedals.)

The cool thing about the Pitch Shift in the Effects section is that it also includes a parameter that will allow you to delay each harmony voice by up to 300ms. This is useful for emulating effects where you physically play only a single note, but it sounds as if you are picking individually each note of a chord one-after-the-other. I've found that 300ms is a bit short (especially if using two harmonies), but it seems the GR-55 has more memory allocated to delay effects than the VG-99, I believe. If they've upped the delay time on this module, you should be able to get some nice arpeggiator effects via that alone.

Even if they haven't upgraded that delay time on the Pitch Shift module, there's one other trick I've come across that can get you similar effects, albeit with limitations (of course).

The signal chain on the COSM model begins with the input of the instrument's original pickups. Immediately following that, the output from the COSM instrument is added into the chain. The cool thing about this is that you can insert other effect modules into the chain between the Normal Guitar and the COSM Guitar. These effects would only affect your regular guitar output, but wouldn't be put on the COSM instrument -- since they are placed in the chain before the COSM Guitar enters it.

So what I've done is to place both a Pitch Shift module then the Delay module in the chain between the two instrument inputs, setting their outputs to 100% wet, which completely removes the original signal. So the Normal Guitar input is pitch shifted and delayed (up to 1800ms with the Delay module), and the harmony note(s) comes in after the sound from the COSM Guitar.

I know there are several high end pitch shifters that allow this same sort of algorithm, and it's pretty easy to emulate arpeggiator-style effects using natural, non-synthesized sounds. Doubtless you can use a synthesized sound (such as from the GR-55's Synth Section) to emulate a traditional keyboard arpeggiator as well.

And, of course, every one of those techniques -- the Alternate Tuning section, the Pitch Shift module, and pitch shifting the Normal Guitar input -- can all be combined in various amounts to give you all kinds of different effects. It's a great source of fun on a slow afternoon. ;)

        -m-