Re: OT: 5/4 challenge

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Petri Lahtinen wrote:
Recently I made a challenge to myself, could I write something based on 5 time? Here are the results. Its gonna end to my EP that I'm releasing by the end of this month.
Not so loopy, but...

--
Petri Lahtinen

http://www.petrilahtinen.com

Very cool, Petri.

I , too,  am really in love with rhythmic groupings in 5.

For what it is worth, I've been very slowly working on an E.P. called 5:55:55 which is broken down into 5 different pieces that are all in either 5/8 or 5/4
time signature.

I started it because I kept seeing 5:55 on my clock whether it was A.M. or P.M. It was freaky how frequent that would happen and I also love playing in subdivisions
of 5.

It was also inspired because I had just turned 55
(very, very slowly I said,  because i just had my 58th birthday last
Sunday)

The songs on it  are called:
1) 5
2) 55
3) 5:55 (Music for Music Box, Bowed Banjo, Glass Ghatam and Synthesizer)
which is the lead off track on the latest Loopers Delight Compilation CD, Volume IV
4) 5:55:55 (Farewell Kim)
(which is here on youtube with an accompanying video I made)
*_http://www.youtube.com/looppool#p/u/2/jQPLjy8PsJU_*
5) Hamsa' Hand (which is the arabic word for both the number 'five' and the noun 'hand' and also is an homage to Hamsa Al Din, who was one of my two spiritual musical fathers, the great Nubian Oudist and Frame Drummer (and the first person who ever gave me a lesson
on the frame drum)

On the 5:55 track I programmed the polyrhtym 5 against 4 using the limitation
of the diatonic tuning in C of the music box.

And lastly, and please forgive the OCD nature of this post but I truly love 5, I've been working really hard on playing the Dave Brubeck song, 'Take Five' with local jazz luminaries and getting into wilder and wilder improvisations against 5/4 in the solo...... going vastly and psychedlically beyond what the great jazz drummer Joe Morello did on this,
the first million selling single in jazz history.

Essentially, I tell whatever pianist I'm working with to play the ostinato part when the solo occurs and to NOT listen to me, because I really try to take it way, way outside rhythmically and yet always pay homage to the spirit of 5/4 (whether using groups of 1/8ths, 1/16ths , triplet 8ths or triplet 16ths.)

Okay, I"ve geeked out enough................now for 24 hours of intense cleaning of my house to prepare for
all the loopers who are coming.

yours,   Rick