Re: Radio Lab - Show on loops with middle section about a magnetic tape loop dying.

awesome!!!!!!

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Christopher Darrow <thedarrow@gmail.com> wrote:

It is so odd to me that this has not been posted yet. (Forgive me if I missed it, but a search of my emails shows no results.)

If you've not yet heard the podcast "Radio Lab," it's great. One of the best out there... it's like This American Life but with a faster pace, add science, add fantastic audio engineering.

Anyhoo, last week's theme was---you guessed it---Loops.

In particular (and this is why I post) the middle segment regards some 25 year old tape loops being transferred to digital but apparently too late as they began to deteriorate with each pass. What results is the death of the loop, physically and sonically, as the metallic/magnetic (whatever) fragments fall as dust to the floor, bit by bit, until the tape itself is clear rather then brown.

The tail goes first until at last you can just barely hear only the attacks.

Thought you might find it interesting too, so I'm posting: www.radiolab.org

Since we're (I'm) on the topic of interesting loop links, if you have not yet heard of or checked out 9BeetStreatch ( http://www.læyf.com/ ) it is Beethoven's 9th slowed down to 24 hours without pitch shifting and it loops every day. So tune in one time of day and it sounds sad (minor chord) and another happy (major chord) for example.

---Christopher