Re: livelooping. Ambient.

I stepped into this mess several years ago and wisdom would probably teach
me not to do so again, but here goes...

I see the term "livelooping" as potentially being about branding and
existing for the benefit of the audience and in term for the performer.
From a standpoint like this, "livelooping" sets some level of expectations
and allows potential audience members to decide whether or not they like
"livelooping" in the same way they might decide whether they like death
metal, country, or polka bands. That's not to say that livelooping
exclusive of those styles anymore than to say one couldn't have a death
metal polka band, but to say that there is a commonality in the music that
one can react to either favorably or unfavorably. This then works to the
benefit of lesser known performers because they can say "you don't know
me, but you like livelooping and I'm a livelooper."

This use of the term, however, raises some interesting issues and
questions:

* It by nature excludes some people who use looping devices but who make
music that an audience would not identify with what the term "livelooping"
has come to mean to them.

* It opens a question about how to deal with performers who play music
that sounds like it fits with the livelooping aesthetic, but who don't
actually use loopers.

The other choice is to define the category as consisting of anyone who
uses a looper in a live context. That works, but it's then perhaps no more
meaningful from a broader audience standpoint than it would be to have an
event billed as being "musicians using compression pedals".

So, the intended meaning of the term depends on the goals in using the
term.

Mark

P.S. We noticed at Y2KX (I think) that the posters said nothing about
"music". Did that have an effect on being able to pull in a broader
audience? I don't know.