Re: Re: Re: Circular Breathing: Live Looping

Anyone that utilizes overtones on string instruments does the same
thing as the wind/reed player that uses his voice to sing into the
vibrating air pillar to bring it into overtone oscillation. "Relying
soley on technique" I here interpret as creating polyphonic sounding
audio from a monophonic instrument. Transformed to string instruments
this would mean making one string sound with several simultaneous
notes. That's actually a major technique to make string instruments
sound cool and most players do it.

A related technique for string instruments is to use acoustic feedback
from a speaker through the air. By moving the instrument in space
close to the speak the player can manipulate the overtones that
gradually evolves in the process (check out Stanosaur on this list,
and others). Such overtone implying feedback can also be magnetic, as
if using an ebow or sustain pickup or mechanic as if using a physical
Sustainiac clamper on the instrument's neck.

For monophonic reed/wind instruments I see the musical need for these
extended techniques but most string instruments have more than one
string and are already designed for polyphonic playing. So with string
instruments these techniques rather become an expressive effect than a
tool for tonality.

per