Re: Re: Creating Space

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Kris Hartung wrote:
LOL It's sort of interesting how it take some people a while to realize they are playing alone, which is a good test of whether they are listening.
We've already talked about good music frequently being like a conversation.
When you run into someone who talks non-stop,  they rarely are listening.

Narcissism is rampant in the musical world.    I fight it myself.
One of the best ways I've learned to keep myself from going there (and I do almost
universally out of insecurity rather than wanting to say something) is
to remind myself to listen.

One of the best compliments I ever received from a heavy weight musician was that he said that I listened to every musician in the ensemble and if they didn't know
their parts that I could sing it to them.

I find that I have relearn that over and over again.

You'd think you'd just get it one day,  but for me,  nooooooo!

So it's humbling to try and be supportive, sensitive and to try and listen
(especially before you play).

I think we actually are lucky as live loopers because we have the ability to listen to our loops.

i'd say this is one of my biggest critiques of loopers with less experience or who are less effective at the live looping festivals...........they make a loop and immediately start to add loops to
it or to play over it.

It's important to actually listen to what you've just created as another musician would. We have to, in that sense, 'learn' what we just looped if we are going to respond carefully.

Of course, this goes out the window when, as with someone like Kid Beyond or Amy X who have planned out performances where the parts have already been composed and are
then only being implemented.

rick walker