Re: OT: Music suggestions?

Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - love them!

2012/1/12 Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com>
On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, marcus kirby wrote:
I listen to a lot of ambient, both past and modern. I have a little
bit of soul music and jazz as well, but I feel like I'm missing out on
a lot of stuff.

Any suggestions for good experimental, world, classic stuff in general?

Big fan of satie, arvo park, gorecki, talking heads, belong, slowdive.

Bands/albums would be cool.
some favorites of mine:

Classical:

Ralph Vaughn Williams    "The Lark Ascending"     "Third Symphony"

Maurice Ravel     most of his orchestral works

Claude Debussy   piano works and orchestral works   "La Mer"

Aaron Copland    "Third Symphony"

Singer Songwriters:
Jose Gonzalez,   Elliott Smith,  Sufjan Stevens,  Brian Blade ("Mama Rosa")
damn near everything but the last two or three records by Joni Mitchell

Newer Jazz:
Ambrose Akinmusrie,  Cuong Vu, Brian Blade,  Bill Frissell,

Scandinavian Electro-Jazz:
Nils Petter Molvaer, Eivind Aarset, Arve Henriksen, Arild Andersen, Jaga Jazzist

Electronic Music:
Trente Moller, Boards of Canada, Bola, Aphex Twin

Ambient Pop:
Sigur Ross,  Mum, Low, Efterklang (their 1st especially),  David Sylvain

Things currently on my playlist:

Baths,  the Weekend,  How To Dress Well (I"m on an ambient soul with beautiful harmonies kick right now and
there's a whole movement of young artists who are currently mining this approach)

Tycho "Dive"    beautiful downtempo record

Sufjan Stevens ('7 Swans' and 'Illionoise'), Richard Youngs (experimental singer-songwriter),
Brian Blades (the exquisite and
aforementioned 'Mama Rosa' ,  a singer songrwriter project that he never intended for release
until his good friends bugged him to release it.)

and a long DVD of mp3s of very rough takes of everything I've written instrumentally on
four string instruments this past year or so listened to over and over in an attempt
to inspire lyric writing.

There's a lot more..........world music would take a long time to write out, but
I'm off to play pool now............yeah!!!  I made two difficult Masse shots last night.
it's coming....it's coming!

Rick Walker

--
Petri Lahtinen