Re: Stereo Separation?

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Mike Fugazzi <mikefugazzi@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I am curious as to how others are using their gear to great stereo
> separation in recordings or on stage.

I can't imagine not playing my instruments in mono!

For me stereo tends to blur the presence, decrease the power and
destroy intonation in playing. That's for the instrument sound. The
way I use stereo is to create *deepness* around and behind my mono
instrument, for example by using stereo versions effects like reverb,
delay or a layered synth (if I'm playing one of the Roland GK-3
equipped string instruments). My mono instrument typically sends a
little signal to these background effects for the 3-D effect. I also
like to connect the effects dynamically to my mono instrument so my
playing also affects the "effect horizon" (when I play there are less
big effects but when I shut up between two notes the effects step out
a bit to fill in. It's like an un-natural organic room pulsating with
whatever phrasing I play, but rather subtle of course)

Same theory applies to how I produce recordings. If a concert offers
surround sound I also I stick with the same concept, but with four or
eight channels instead of two.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com