Re: Panic Mode

Hmmm,

A couple things:
--If it's for your youth group or your school, I bet a lot of people
would be bummed if you didn't play. Not hearing you at all would be
worse to them than playing a set that's not up to your standards, or
where you make a few mistakes.
--Your standards may be different from those of your audience. They
probably want to hear you play, and sound like you, more than they are
expecting a professional-level rock concert. And you sounding like you
is the best thing you one can give to an audience.
--I bet most of them will be floored that you're using looping
technology. I've had many shows where I thought I turned out a real
turd sandwich, but the audience really liked it because I was doing
something they haven't heard much and nothing burst into flames.
--Despite the folks your age that you may see on tv every once in a
while, nobody is born a perfect musician. Having shows that are not
100% great are part of the process of becoming an experienced
musician.
--Despite the mythology around musicians, nobody stops being a human
being when they get on stage.
--Lastly, flaking is not a good habit to get into as a musician. I
think there may be some forgiveness if you're a high school student
and it's your youth group, but you don't want to flake on shows once
you're in your 20s. It's one of those things that creates a
reputation.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com