Re: Sound Design vs. Presets

I don't prefer any way more than the other, just want to get the sound
I hear in my imagination. Sometimes a preset goes half the way and
then I simply tweak it up according to my taste. Other times I might
want to do something that no preset offers and then I start out from
scratch. I don't think presets are more cheating than using
instruments like a guitar or a piano. Whatever brings a vision out to
be shared with others is good enough IMHO.

The poetry of preset names can be quite entertaining. Sometimes names
say more about the programmer than about the sound per se, but I
always find it interesting to think an extra second around a preset
name just in case...

Some presets are really good too! Whenever I see something tweaked by
Tim Conrardy, Ian Boddy or Big!Tone I know from experience that this
instrument sound may have multiple dimensions and that you should play
it thoroughly will all possible dynamic controllers to fully check it
out. It's just ridiculous how lousy some factory presets can be
compared to presets created by a skilled sound designer.

I've made a couple of full sampler instrument presets from my physical
instruments, not because it would be "better" but simply because I
love the tone of those instruments and the way I play them originally.
And when sampled they morph into something new that still brings the
flavor of the source sound but now reaching out into new exciting
territories. It's all a matter of taste and expression.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen