Re: Sound Design vs. Presets

It really depends...

I've no problem calling up a simple synth bass preset, for example, and tweaking it to taste. But then there are other synth presets that are almost like fully formed tracks in and of themselves. I mean, you could take a lot of Absynth presets, play with the control parameters and there's your song. Now that IS cheating!

The majority of factory presets that come with software sound horrible anyway. They're meant to show off all the crazy things it can do rather than produce useable sounds. This makes them useful for educating yourself about the software's capabilities but I don't feel tempted to use a great many of them, personally.

Philip.