Re: Re: To those who make a living off of music

I have found that accredited music teachers often exert personal constrints on thier students. Case in point? A country musician bass player who taught at the local middle/high school came up to me during a break at a live band rock dance. I had mixed his band a lot and on good terms. The rock/n/roll break music caused him to comment, "canyou believe this garbage?" I told him I pitied his students. Class dismissed.
Rig

From: Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com>
To: Gmail <k3zz21@gmail.com>
Cc: "Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com" <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: Re: To those who make a living off of music

On 2/15/12 10:01 PM, Gmail wrote:
> Thanks man. I ask if you survived because the question popped up when my english teacher said he first went to college for music but said that it stripped all the fun out of it for him so he changed his major.
It's interesting that you say this.

I've had so many students go off to music colleges at the end of their high school experience
and I've heard so many stories about how that experienced really got in the way of their
experience of the music they loved (not all, of course).

It's always occurred to me:      you could save so much money if you found an accomplished musician
in your area and took intensive lessons from them (2-5 a week) in a sort of musical boot camp
that would give you such a much deeper and richer experience......forcing you to learn at a much higher
rate.      You would not end up with a degree doing this, but that degree is really only useful if you
intend to teach music in a learning institution.

I've had several students take 'bootcamp'  classes from me........several a week of really intensive study.
They always learn a tremendous amount in a short amount of time......and we're talking hundreds of dollars
or perhaps a few thousand dollars NOT tens of thousands of dollars which is what Music College or Universities will set you back.

On top of that,  you have constant feedback and personal attention for your process which is very difficult to get in a place like , say, the Berklee School of Music.

The one thing that you might miss out on in this example would be the high caliber of fellow students that you'd encounter at a place like Berklee or Julliard (or any other good musical University).

rick walker