Re: Re: Re: To those who make a living off of music

Dear Matt,

These are all really super valuable approaches and I know a lot of musicians who followed that path. I really do respect you for it, and I agree, you have a truly unique style that I think is really magical so your approach is certainly working and valid.

  I followed a similar path for the first 15 years of my own life, too.

And then, in the 16th year, for some reason or other, I taught myself how to read
Western rhythmic notation and  just became a voracious student. I took
courses at UCSC and then, Cabrillo College (where I actually learned a lot more) but it just didn't do it for me.........too structured........too fixated on musical forms that I just didn't love, so I struck out on my own again, but this time with the aid of teachers (and my own researching).

In my case, I'm just restless all the time and just had to know about the nuts and bolts.......I suppose the way a magician wants to know how to create the illusion
as opposed to the audience who delights in experiencing it.

It could take away from the delight of experiencing the 'magic' trick if it weren't for the fact that there are layers upon layers of understandings about music and the way it effects human beings.

Luckily, for me, learning about music seems never ending. There's always something else to learn.........I find myself at the age of 56, finally starting to understand some really deep principles about how Western harmony works and how to manipulate it in composition...... taking on instruments, as a beginner, that I never dreamed I would play in my lifetime.
I'm a baby again........or rather a precocious baby and it's a turn on.

I'm really not saying it's the only way,  but it's certainly a way.

with respect for everyone's musical diversity,

Rick Walker