Re: Just ordered new instrument

I'm curious - do turntable controllers consider the needle? I imagine
a good turntable controller must have some sort of touch screen for
the left hand, where you can "drop the needle" in different parts of a
visual representation of the sound file.

When I was a turntablist, I often thought of producing a record for
other turntablists. (There's a name for those, I just can't think of
it now.) Mine would've had one side be just locked grooves of
chromatic and diatonic scales, so that one could play the turntable as
a melodic instrument by dragging the needle across the grooves. Side 2
would've been split between sounds that scratch well (such as a person
going "sssssss", "fffffffff" and "Shhhhhhh") and singular drum sounds
that could be combined/looped to make rhythms.

...but I didn't have the idea until I was already migrating to drum
machine, and I didn't know many turntablists at the time.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com