Re: 16 bit 48 all we need?

Actually, summing is a process by which individual (analog) outputs are taken from the DAW and combined externally using a fixed gain combiner (mixer) known as a "summing box". I't benefits were born out of the audible limitations of Pro Tools fixed point summing math, which would clip internally in a very harsh and unpleasant way. By running the signal out of individual converters, the user would typically pay more attention to the levels (by using the meters on the converters) and produce a "better" mix. Other than that it's meaningless and running any -problem free- summed output through analog converters and outboard gear will result in an audible improvement (generally speaking). A program like Logic has over 1536dB of internal headroom and so internal digital clipping can not happen.

-Chuck Zwicky

PS: I mix records professionally for a living, and have done so for nearly 30 years. 99.9999999% of the album projects I see are sent to me at 44.1/24...