Re: Looperlative LP2

Zak Kramer wrote:

2. I attempted to convey my experiences as carefully as possible, by putting a lot of thought into and then clearly outlining my signal path and methodology, and eschewing emotional judgements to the greatest extent possible.

Wasn't that your demo on the Gearpage?
That's great, it allows us to analyse what's going on,
and why the pedal doesn't work for you.

As I understand it the LP2 uses 12 bit recording (from the spec/manual
Rick posted I think).
(although in/out is, afaik, 24bit)

Usually a stompbox looper uses 24bit recording, not for sound quality
issues
but for headroom.
In stompbox world, it's a very neat solution to headroom issues, where the
input
signal is going to not only vary a lot, but needs to be passed without
level change.

So the Lp2 *is* going to need much more careful gain staging to get the
most out of it.

Clearly the 4th sample ( where you're using the higher gain setting on the
LP2)
is louder than the others, and getting distorted by your amp.
I guess that's unavoidable with your setup?
Anyway, if you'd had some kind of attenuation after the LP2 you would have
gone towards a lower noise floor without distortion. I guess that's not
a good answer for you, and I'm sure a lot of Guitar>Amp guys wouldn't
be comfortable with it.

I don't know how the gain setting thing works on the LP2, it *should*
still give a 1:1 gain ratio input to output when the gain setting is
changed,
....but it seems from the demo that it doesn't, as there's apparent gain
staging problems
where there really shouldn't be.
i.e. the ideal way to deal with a low headroom element in the signal chain is set the level going in to it, and totally compensate that for it on the way out. So..when you change the level, the only things that shift are noise floor
and distortion headroom...not the signal output level.
(if this *is* a problem, and I'm only guessing here, then that
should be fixable in a couple of lines of code).

andy butler