Re: Strategies for Hiding a Loop

Interesting thread!

A lot of useful techniques has been listed, but I think the challenge
is to pick a few and learn to  play well with them. I'm constantly
working on cutting down my arsenal of options to increase the
performance power and musical versatility.

One important way for me is to make commands instantly available at
many locations. So if I happen to be at a different MIDI foot
pedalboard bank page than the page that host my Overdub Button I may
just reach out a hand instead and push a button on a table top mixer
or a laptop key to move into Overdub Mode. Etc, etc...

Another method I favor is to use one controller to control many
parameters in the looping rig. This is also knows as morphing. Again,
the looper is an instrument and as all instruments the lighter touch
it takes the better it plays. Setting up expression pedals for
morphing is similar to adjusting intonation to stringed instrument. A
little change at one place affects other parts too and everything is
inter related. Working with feedback you have to find the precise
sweetspot where the loop stays hovering in space without dying away or
exploding into overload mess. An interesting area is to place one end
of the control range a bit above the safety level, meaning it will
explode into overload unless you don't keep working the loop at a
certain pace.

Generally I like to keep loops rather static, I kind of like that. One
has to listen while playing though, because there will come a point in
time where some change has to be induced or the whole static loop
thing will start sounding lame (as opposed to mesemizing).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen