Re: How often do you listen to your own music?

I self-listen a lot when I'm either working on the CD, or just when
the CD is released.

When I'm working on a CD, I try to listen to the music both as a
person who "gets" what I'm doing, and one who doesn't. It often takes
several listens to determine whether I think a track is CD worthy or
not.

When I'm finished with a CD, I often find myself listening again each
time I'm aware of someone new getting their hands on it or read a
review - I find it fascinating to try to listen from the perspective
of that person. Other than that, they only come up on shuffle play on
my ipod. Lately, I've hit "skip" on the iPod, because I signed up for
a site called last.fm, which tracks your plays, and I don't like being
displayed as my own biggest fan.

I try to be the harshest critic, among people who actually understand
my music. I think that's a good position to be in. 7 years after I
released "Bwoo", I hear a lot of things in it that I'm not happy with.
I'm not sure if any musician has the patience to 7-year test a CD
before releasing it though. "Living Things" - my most recent, at 2
years old - is my first release that I'm still 100% proud of this far
after the release date.

Lately, I try to find myself listening with "20 year ears", probably
since I discovered one of my biggest influences - Klaus Schulze -
about 20 years after he recorded the albums I picked up. I think of
someone stumbling on my dusty old cds somewhere, and try to imagine
whether my music would mean something to them or not.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com