Re: online royalties

Was this part of an earlier discussion? Here's my personal experience:

I don't make much money with online CDs or shows. I think I get a lot more listens from having my music online.
(It helps that 2 early CDs were reviewed by The Wire, and the artist-run record label I've been on has sent copies to college radio stations around the country.)

According to last.fm, I have 282 people who have scrobbled at least one song by me. (Scobbled = played while the last.fm application was running.) I imagine less than 1/4 of people who buy music on the internet log their plays with last.fm, so that suggests at least 1000 people have downloaded at least one of my tracks (or bought a cd). That's nuts! 1000 people!   And I’m one of those people who is lucky if 10 people come to one of my gigs! However, like David says, there has been very little income from these sales.

The other side of that is – like you can figure above, by having music released where people can download it, and since it’s been reviewed and played on college radio stations, a LOT more people hear me from my CDs than at my concerts.

When I finish my next release, I plan to try the radiohead thing – release it for cheap (probably $5) on either bandcamp.com, or figure out how to do a web-release from my own website. Even if I sell 1/10 the downloads that I sell on iTunes/Amazon/Emusic, I’ll probably make more income. But the big drive is that I’d like to see who some of these people are who like my music!

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com