Re: feedback issue with mics in live performance

Ben,

seems like you'd want to use more than two, and try some kind of clip on mic like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/E604/

also a good old sm 57 has great rejection and could make a good hi-hat mic.  but looping with mics is really tricky for instruments, it seems like there's no way to get around bleed though, even if you can get around the feedback issue.  Depending on hw loud you want to be, I'd probably get a set of clip-ons mics and a little mixer like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/802VLZ3

Put all the mics into it and send the outs to your looper, that way you can have the option to eq stuff to be less problematic, low cuts can help a lot. you could also pursue contact mics like these really inexpensive ones:

http://www.cranksturgeon.com/PIEZOCRANK.html

but then your sound quality is going to get a bit nasal and you might just want to go for an electric drum kit.  If you can find something with sounds you like an electric drum kit would be the way to go, unless you're really set on an acoustic kit.

I play upright bass with the bow a lot and loop, so I've been through a bunch of issues with bleed through and feed back.  But capturing the arco tone was really important to me.  I eventually came to a custom built, onboard 2 piezo/1 mic system on my bass.

I also loop with a little frame drum armed with a crank sturgeon contact mic and that works pretty well for me. It can go pretty loud and sounds good.  I'm sure some of the other folks on this list who are drummers can offer you some more detailed advice-I hope this helps and good luck!

Steve Uccello

www.steveuccello.com