Re: feedback issue with mics in live performance

On 1/24/2013 7:02 PM, Ben Walsh wrote:
hello everyone!  so nice to find a community of like-minded cats.

so i'm trying to loop real drums in my live show, with two mics, and they are picking up a bunch of feedback and adding it to the loop, so the sound is quite degraded after 2 or 3 layers. anybody had success dealing with this issue? or is what i'm trying impossible? i'm not using any monitors at all.

thanks!
ben

I, too, am a looping drummer/percussionist/multi-instrumentalist who has had problems with live microphones onstage. For many, many years I resisted the urge to invest in "IN-EAR" monitors with a wireless system. It's a somewhat expensive solution, (around $500-$600 for a decent set up) so I always balked at getting into it to save money.

Anyway, I finally broke down and bought a system and it changed my life onstage. There's no monitoring so there is no feedback unless the PA is ludicrously loud. Additionally, I can completely control my own monitoring volume without disturbing other
musicians on stage when I'm playing with other people.

Finally, I can set up my entire rig and a festival gig and be soundchecking while another act is on stage. This has radically lowered my anxiety about being able to get onto stage quickly and get a decent monitoring set up.

I cannot more highly recommend it, and honestly, if you want high quality micing solutions (I even use hyper cartioid AKG C1000s
condenser mics on stage) this is the only way to go.

If you need more advice, I've learned a few things about what to buy if cost is a factor.

Rick Walker