Re: Zoe Keating in NY Times article.@borisfx.com

On Jan 30, 2013, at 9:32 PM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:

> *Well folks,   iTunes,  one of the greatest rapists of musical artistry,
> in the world charges 50% of ALL DOWNLOAD SALES.**
> **

What is wrong with 50%? I don't think even the Rolling Stones ever got
50%. Back in the days of records, a new band was lucky to get 5%, 3% was
common. Check out Magnatune, they share 50% with the artist. Their motto
is 'we are a record company, but we are not evil'. Unfortunately, their
business model has had to evolve, because people are not downloading. They
have shifted to a subscription fee. But you can still listen to a whole
album for free. For example (shameless plug),
http://magnatune.com/artists/primavera.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch